2013 was the first year I actually made resolutions for. They might have been rather mundane or shallow but I did stick to them to a certain degree:
- Start a blog: The fact that I am writing this post proves that I have done so and managed to keep it up more or less.
- Use my Instagram account more: Don’t ask me why I decided to make this resolutions. It was on a whim and the 204 posts on my Instagram Account prove that I did do so.
But these are not the things that made 2013 special. This past year was one for self discovery and character development. I took a writing class and enjoyed every bit of it. For the first time, I channelled my emotions into something productive. I wrote of real and imagined things. I wrote of losing people I still got and getting back people I had already lost. It was the year I stopped with the “Could Have Beens”. It was the year I stood up for myself in more ways than one. It was the year I loved and lost. It was the year I learned to take out the people I like to call weeds out of my life. It was the year during which I did not only face my deepest fear, but also took a couple of steps to conquer it. I may not be there yet but I’m working on it.
- I crossed off one thing from my Bucket List by working with Amnesty International in the summer and then making it to the National Youth Advisory Council in November.
- I experienced commuting for the first time and hated every bit of it.
- I went zipplining and it was terrifying yet extremely satisfying.
- I witnessed a sunrise and a sunset in the desert and cried at both.
- I stargazed in the middle of the dunes.
- I saw more shooting stars than I can remember and dont think I made a wish at each one.
- I sat on top of a moving 4×4 in the middle of the desert.
- I attended random concerts of artists I knew and some I don’t.
- I went back to photography and I’m working on making my portfolio more interesting AND I’m getting paid to do it.
- I went on stage and performed a Joss Stone songs barefoot.
- I used a typewriter.
- I took random walks in the snow and the rain.
- I had trips on a whim.
- I got rained on and hailed on while it was sunny in the middle of April all of this at the same time.
- I got nicknamed Granny by my friends and did not mind it the least bit.
- I got mad and ended up in tears more times than I’d like to admit.
- I wore short shorts and patterned pants and shirts I made myself out of scarves and loved it.
- I made myself more clothes: a skirt, two dresses, and recently knit myself a sweater.
These are the main things I could think of that happened this year. Most of all though, I tried to spend a bit more time with the people who matter to me most. I would like to say sorry in case any of you did not feel that and I will try even harder this coming year.
On this first day of 2014, I am not going to say the cliché “new year, new me” random stuff, that would be a waste of everything I have accomplished in the past 20 years of my existence. As a person, I see myself as some sort of onion made out of numerous layers and this upcoming year will be yet another 12 months bringing more tears and laughter, high highs and low lows. Whatever you got 2014, bring it on. I will see you on the flip side!
Photo Credits: Ghassan Mhaifid